Sips : Neko's Revenge

I'm going to be honest for a second:  I like the word "flatmate."  It's easier to say than "apartmentmate," which sounds awkward and isn't even a real word, and makes more sense than "roommate," which is inaccurate.  But to many of my compatriots it probably sounds pretentious.  I'm just giving you fair warning that in the name of efficiency and accuracy, I'm going to be pretentious.

My flatmate and I have been gradually settling into our new apartment over the last few weeks.  We spent Memorial Day getting inspired at Ikea, then came home and finally hung lots of artwork on the walls.  As you can imagine, all that attention to detail was pretty darn taxing ("Is it straight?  Did you hit your thumb?  Where did I put the level?") and by the time we were done it was clearly time for a refreshing cocktail.

When it comes to mixed drinks, my needs are simple.  Give me a gin & tonic or vodka & tonic, and I'm a completely satisfied girl.  But I'm highly intrigued by the weird, wonderful world of mixology, and thankfully my flatmate is equally excited about getting creative with cocktails.  If we had been all intentional and written a Roommate Agreement, the first item would have been something like, "I pledge allegiance to the Cocktail of the Month Club..."

I had been wanting to use coconut rum in something since trying it while at the beach last week.  I also loved the thought of mojitos, but we had no mint in the house - just basil.  And some blackberries.  So, as the sounds of Neko Case echoed through the apartment, I whipped up a drink we've christened "Neko's Revenge."  The coconut is a perfect creamy undertone countering the bittersweet berries.  The larger bits of blackberry sink to the bottom, so you get a few sweet bites at the bottom of each glass.  I'll probably try this with mint at some point but it's quite nice with basil.  Cheers!

Neko's Revenge - 1 serving

6 basil leaves, roughly torn or chopped
4 blackberries
1 teaspoon sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1/2 cup tonic water or club soda
1/4 cup coconut rum
Ice cubes

Muddle basil, blackberries, lime juice, and sugar in a glass until the berries are mostly crushed.  Add tonic water, rum, and ice.  Stir, and garnish with basil if desired.  Enjoy with your flatmate while admiring your picture-hanging accomplishments.

Comments

cdvic2 said…
Lovely my dear flatmate. Simply lovely.

Popular Posts