A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Good things today:
- The British Museum, a warehouse of reminders that people we consider "primitive" were generating artistic excellence long before Christ was born.
- The beautiful old art supply shop, est. 1855 and still going strong; wooden floors creaking with age under every footstep, hundreds of mahogany drawers full of fine pencils and whispering possibilities.
- The little girl who skipped along to the busker's music while everyone else blitzed past in a hurry for nothing.
- The Big Issue seller who hit the crosswalk button for an approaching couple burdened with luggage. I don't think they noticed.
- The scent of someone's Ralph Lauren Polo aftershave on the Tube.
- Well-made boots that have served me well over six months of walking all over London, and seem likely to hold out for a few more weeks.
- Good music to hear
- Good food to eat
- Having dear people in my life to send postcards to.
- Having friends to meet at the pub.
- Having friends to just relax at home with a crochet project and another episode of "Friends."
- The London Underground. It has its faults, but it really is pretty darn marvelous when you think about it.
- Birthday flowers, still radiant three days later.
- A Turner sunset over Canary Wharf.